Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Who says there's no place like home?

There's an old saying that goes: "There's no place like home." That's hard to believe, however, when standing in the doorway of our Room of the Year and Best Video Tour finalists. Couches, coffee tables, fuzzy colored carpets and Christmas lights are just a few items that University Housing residents use to transform their living spaces into homes away from home. As one finalist put it, "the more work you put into it, the more it feels like home."

Each year residents pull out all the stops for our room decorating and video tour contests and the entries continue to wow us as the competitions grow. We caught up with some of this year's winners to learn more about why they chose the University of Georgia, how they picked their residence hall, and to get some of their best decorating tips.

Jessica Hauser and Olivia Tuttle, Roswell, Ga. 
2013 Best Female Room Winners

Why did you choose the residence hall that you live in?
J: I liked the suite-style living that is offered in Oglethorpe. I also liked its location in relation to Tate and the dining halls.
Jessica and Olivia's first-place winning
room in Oglethorpe House

O: I chose to live in O-House with Jessie because we wanted our own bathroom and sink in the room. It has been so convenient, and if I could do it over again, I would choose O-House every time.

Have you decided where you will live next year? If so, how did you make that decision?
J: We have not officially decided which residence hall we will be living in; however we have decided to live in one of the apartment style buildings in ECV. My three other roommates and I wanted to live in an apartment, but wanted the benefits of living on campus.

O: We love the idea of having a kitchen and our own rooms! 

What made you decide to come to the University of Georgia?
J: The amazing opportunities offered by such a large campus is what drew me to UGA.

O: I wanted to come to UGA because of its beautiful campus, awesome football team and southern hospitality.

Jessica (right) and Olivia
What one item did you bring from home that you just can't live without?
J: I definitely could not live without my pictures of my friends, family and animals!

O: I brought several incandescent lamps from home and I don't think I could live without them. I love the warm, homey feeling the lamps give off, and we never even turn on the overhead lights.

What's your best decoration tip for those moving into the residence halls?
J: My best decoration tip would be to put pictures on the walls and have a large colorful rug. These things really brighten up the room.

O: My best decorating tip is to keep it simple and work with a color scheme. The rooms are small so they can easily feel cluttered if you have too many decorations or if your decorations are not cohesive. 


Greyson Ike, Dunwoody, Ga.

2013 Best Video Tour Winner 
Greyson (left) is pictured with
her roommate, Catherine.

Why did you choose the residence hall that you live in?
I actually didn't choose Brumby, we registered late. I'm happy living there, though.

Have you decided where you will live next year? If so, how did you make that decision?

We have decided! We're going to live in an apartment-dorm in ECV, because... apartment style dorms. East Campus. Why NOT?

What made you decide to come to the University of Georgia?

UGA has always been a big school in my family; my grandparents live in Athens and my dad attended. I probably would have chosen Georgia even if that wasn't the case though, there are so many opportunities here. Also, Athens is a great town.

What one item did you bring from home that you just can't live without?

My eno hammock!

What's your best decoration tip for those moving into the residence halls?

Make it homey. And don't worry about having a "theme" or having everything coordinate perfectly, you want it to be like a real room. Oh, also- get a good rug. I promise it's worth it.

Check out Greyson's tour of her Brumby Hall room with roommate Catherine:





No comments:

Post a Comment